Chicken & Corn Tortilla Soup
Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX
- 2-3 tbsps. Vegetable Oil
- 1 small yellow onion – fine dice
- 3-4 Garlic cloves – minced
- 2 Jalapenos – minced (less if you don’t like spicy)
- 4-5 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Can Whole Tomatoes – crushed with your hands
- 1 Can Black Beans – rinsed and drained
- 1/2 Roasted Chicken – bones/skin removed – shredded into pieces
- Coarse Salt & Pepper – to taste
- 1.5 tbsps. Chili Powder
- 3 Limes – (2 for juice/zest, 1 for wedges)
- Fresh Cilantro – 1 bunch
- Fresh Corn Tortillas – toasted
- 1 Avocado – pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup Cheese of choice – shredded
- 1/2 cup Mexican Crema
- In a large heavy bottom, pot heat vegetable oil on med-high. Add onions & cook for 2 minutes. Once onions have softened, add garlic & jalapenos. Cook for another 2-3 minutes & season all the vegetables with salt/pepper and the chili powder. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the chicken stock, tomatoes and beans into the pot and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, lower heat to simmer and add your chicken pieces.
- Cook the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes. Add the lime juice/zest. Taste and reseason with salt/pepper if needed.
- To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl. Add fresh cilantro, a lime wedge, avocado slices, cheese, Mexican Crema. Serve with toasted Corn Tortillas. Enjoy!