Recipe provided by Austin Personal Chef: Carlos Crusco
Ingredients (yields about 16 oz):
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the sugar, zest, and egg yolks; whisk in lemon juice and salt.
- Transfer the mixture to a pot or large pan and add butter. Place over medium-high and start cooking, whisking constantly, until the butter has melted (roughly 1-2 minutes). Do not boil, just lightly simmer.
- Once it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (about 5 minutes), remove from the heat but continue to whisking the mixture. It will now resemble more a curd than a liquid.
- Pour the curd through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Then, press plastic wrap against the surface of the curd which prevents it forming a crust. Refrigerate until cool, preferably overnight.
- Use to flavor whipped cream, cakes, trifles or simply serve with warm scones and berries (pictured). Enjoy!