Peach Puff Pastry
Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX.
Ingredients (Easy/Fast Pastry Cream)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 2 cups Vit D Milk
- 4 large Egg yolks
- 2 tbsps. Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk together milk and egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Add to the saucepan along with butter and bring to a boil over medium heat. Let boil 1-2 minutes, still whisking. Then remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Strain pastry cream through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto surface of cream to prevent skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until chilled, 2 hours minimum and best overnight. Just before using, whisk until smooth. Enjoy!
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry (12 x 9 in) – I don’t expect people to make their own
- 1 Egg
- 2-3 tsbsps. Water
- 2 tbsps. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 4-5 Canned Peaches – cut in half or into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 cup Pastry Cream (recipe above)
- 2 tbsps. Apricot Marmalade
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a rolling pin, form the Puff Pastry into a 12×9 inch rectangle. Cut the Puff Pastry into 6 equal portions (each one 6×3 inches). Fold each side onto itself so as to create a lip on the edges. Set aside to blind bake. Mix the egg with water & set aside.
- Dock the pastry using a fork – basically prick the tongs onto the center of the puff pastry (not the edges).
- Mix 2 tbsps. Sugar with Cinnamon. Brush the Egg wash all over the Puff Pastry and sprinkle the Cinnamon-Sugar on the edges.
- Place small squares of Parchment paper onto the center of each Puff pastry rectangle and weigh down using pie baking weights or beans.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until starting to show color.
- Remove from the oven and remove the Parchment and beans. Place back into the oven and cook until golden in color. Set aside to cool.
- Place 2-3 tbsps. Pastry Cream onto each Puff pastry. Top with Peaches. Heat Apricot marmalade with lemon juice. Brush this mixture onto the peaches. Sprinkle Powdered Sugar and serve immediately. Enjoy!