Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX.
- 4 Russet Potatoes – Peeled and cleaned
- Vegetable or Canola Oil – for frying
- Sea Salt – to season
- Trim each potato into a somewhat uniform long rectangle with flat sides/bottoms. Either by hand or with a mandolin, slice the potatoes just a bit thinner than 1-4″. Place the slices into cold water while doing the rest.
- Once all potatoes are prepared make sure to dry them thoroughly before frying.
- Now here is the important part- you will fry the potatoes twice, once at a lower temperature (to soften the potato) and a second time at a higher temperature (to inflate the potato) hence the term souffle.
- Bring the first pot of oil (about 1-2 inches deep) to 300° and a second pot of oil to 375°. Fry a handful of potato slices for a few minutes. Make sure to shake the pot a bit or move the pieces around while frying.
- Once they start puffing with blister like bubbles they are done and ready to be fried a second time in the hotter oil until they puff into golden, perfect pommes soufflés. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Salt to taste and serve immediately. Enjoy!