Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX.
- 20 Baby Dutch Creamer Potatoes – small circles
- 6-8 tbsps. Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper – to taste
- 5-6 sprigs Sage – fried in leftover olive oil
- Prepare a large bowl with ice and water. Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender (maybe 6-8 minutes).
- Remove immediately and place potatoes into the ice-water for about 5 minutes or until cool. Remove and pat dry with paper towels. Once dry place 1 or 2 potatoes in between a kitchen towel and using the palm of your hand gently push down onto the potato to flatten it out into a disk. Remove and repeat with the rest.
- Place a heavy saute pan over med-high heat. Pour in oil and heat until it shimmers slightly. Season potatoes with salt/pepper and place that seasoned side into the hot oil.
- Pan-fry potatoes until well-browned making sure to season the other sides with salt/pepper. Turn over and cook the other side until brown and crisp.
- Once cooked through remove onto a paper towel lined plate. Season again and set aside to cool off.
- Using the leftover oil, fry the sprigs of sage (1 minute) so they crisp up. Use for garnish and eat them too – they are crispy, savory and delicious!
- Serve family style by placing potatoes on a platter. Garnish with sage sprigs. Enjoy!