Duck + Peach Glaze
Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, Texas
- 2 (One Lb.) Muscovy Duck Breast Halves (dried and scored)
- 1/2 cup Peach Marmalade
- 1/4 cup White wine
- 1/4 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsps. Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Orange – zest and supremes
- 1 Large Shallot – cut in half, peel left on
- 1/4 cup Arugula
- 1 peach from homemade Canned Fredericksburg Peaches
- Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
- Bring duck to room temperature and dry with paper towels. Score the fat side of the duck skin (do not pierce meat) in crosshatch pattern.
- Stir the peach marmalade in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until it starts to simmer. Increase heat and add white wine; boil for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and reduce to medium. Cook until marmalade sauce reduces and becomes viscous (maybe 5-10 minutes). Remove from heat and mix in vinegar. Set aside.
- Zest the orange and set zest aside. Using small knife, cut off peel and white pith from the orange. Working over bowl, cut between membranes to release orange supremes. Set aside and chill.
- Sprinkle duck with salt and pepper. Heat heavy large skillet over low-medium heat. Place duck breasts skin side down in the COLD skillet. This is an important step as the fat cap is thick and it requires a slow fat rendering process to crisp up the skin.
- Cook duck (without moving) until brown and crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Season other side and turn duck. Cook to desired doneness, about 6-8 minutes longer or until you reach 140 degrees.
- Transfer to cutting board. Cover loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take 2 tbsps. duck fat (from the pan the duck cooked in) and place into a small saute pan on med-high heat. Season shallots and place cut side down to sear for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn shallots and increase heat to high. Immediately add 1/4 cup of white wine or water and bring sauce to a simmer. Cook 1-2 minutes or until shallots become soft and tender. Turn heat off and set aside.
- Cut homemade Fredericksburg Peach halves into 1/2 inch slices and set aside with orange supremes.
- Bring Peach marmalade sauce back to a simmer. Add 1 tbsp. duck fat and whisk. Turn off heat and add orange zest; Drain some of the orange supremes and mix into sauce. Set the sauce aside.
- Once rested, slice duck breasts crosswise on a diagonal. Arrange on plates. Place the shallots, orange supremes, peach slices and arugula throughout the plate.
- Spoon the Sauce all over the duck slices and around the plate. Sprinkle with remaining orange zest. Serve immediately and enjoy!