Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, Texas
- 2 lbs. PEI Mussels (about 40-50 mussels) – Check for any cracks
- 3 cloves of garlic – 2 finely minced, 1 smashed in husk
- ½ cup EVOO
- 1/3 cup Homemade or Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Manchego Cheese – grated
- 2-3 tbsps. parsley – finely chopped
- Parsley leaves – for garnish
- 2 lemons – for garnish
- Sea salt and Ground Pepper
- Carefully check for any mussels still open. If open tap on the counter. They should close so if they don’t throw away. Debeard mussels by removing the rope like thread on the side of the mussel.
- Wash the mussels, passing them multiple times under running water to remove any dirt and impurities. Then place in salted water for 30 minutes so any grit/dirt will be purged.
- Remove the mussels to a separate bowl. Place a saute pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp oil. When hot, add 1 clove of garlic.
- When the garlic becomes golden, add the mussels. Cover and cook until open, then remove from the heat and let cool.
- Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic finely chopped, salt/pepper and remaining oil in a bowl. Mix together until smooth.
- Once the mussels are cool, open them and separate the empty half shells from the ones with the mussels.
- Place the half shells with the mussels on a baking sheet lined with rock salt. Fill the shells with the breadcrumb mixture. Broil in an oven for 1-2 minutes or until the mussels are golden in color.
- Garnish with lemon slices, parsley and serve with some vino. Enjoy!