Scallops & Gazpacho
Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, Texas
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Gazpacho Recipe – provided by Chef Crusco
- 1 small shallot – finely minced and shocked in cold water
- 1 yellow or orange pepper – finely minced
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes – finely minced
- 1 small cucumber – peeled and finely mince
- 2-3 tsbps. Spanish EVOO
- 12 slices Spanish Chorizo Embutido – sliced very thin
- 12 Fresh U-10 Scallops
- 1 parsley – leaves for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using Chef Crusco’s recipe, make the Gazpacho and let sit at room temp. Meanwhile, make the Tropezones which are the finely minced additions traditionally used with Gazpacho.
- Finely mince the shallot (shocking in cold water for 8-10 min’s removes the harsh taste). While waiting, finely mince the peppers, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Heat a saute pan on med-high heat with olive oil. Once shimmering, add chorizo slices and cook until the fat and pimenton (smoked paprika) renders into the oil leaving it a beautiful maroon color full of flavor! Remove the chorizo and place on a paper towel to remove the excess fat.
- Bring the heat back to med-high and once about to start smoking place the scallops (salt/pepper seasoned side down) into the saute pan. Immediately season the other side with salt/pepper and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Turn over and cook for another minute or so until just cooked through. Remove the scallops to a paper towel lined plate.
- To serve, ladle some gazpacho in a large, shallow bowl. Place 3 scallops per plate. Position 3 chorizo slices in between each scallop.
- Garnish the plate with parsley and the shallot, pepper, tomato and cucumber tropezones. Drizzle some of the Spanish EVOO on top and enjoy!