Sausage, Zucchini & Kale Soup
Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX
- 3 Links Mild Italian Sausage – casing removed and broken into pieces
- 1 tbsp. EVOO
- Salt/Pepper – to taste
- 1 yellow Onion – fine dice
- 3 Garlic cloves – fine dice
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 Can Whole Tomatoes – crushed with hands
- 2 Zucchini – cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Squash – cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3-4 cups Stock – can be vegetable, pork or beef
- 3 cups Kale – stems removed and leaves roughly cut into strips
- Pecorino Romano Cheese – for garnish and seasoning
- Heat EVOO in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add Sausage pieces and cook until crispy and fat is rendered. Remove the sausage from the pot and set aside.
- Add onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic, red-pepper flakes, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomato paste starts to change color (2-3 minutes).
- Add tomatoes; cook until some liquid evaporates, 1 minute. Add zucchini and squash. Season with salt/pepper. Add Stock and Kale; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and taste. Adjust as needed with salt and pepper. Add the Sausage pieces back into the pot.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables start to become tender.
- When ready to serve, ladle into large bowls. Garnish with grated Pecorino Romano and drizzle more EVOO on it if desired. Enjoy!