Recipe provided by Austin Personal Chef: Carlos Crusco
- 6 cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Take the paper off the can so it does not melt away in the boiling water.
- Put the cans of condensed milk on top of a metal ring or dish towel in a deep heavy pot, so that the water can circulate completely around and over it.
- Fill pot with enough water to cover the can by a couple of inches. Bring to a gentle simmer. VERY IMPORTANT TO COMPLETELY COVER THE CAN WITH WATER!
- As time passes you may have to refill with water so have your kettle on hand and boiling with water so you can add without dropping the water’s temperature.
- Simmer for about 3-4 hours and then let cool for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Once cool enough to handle, open and using a spatula remove the contents into a bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and fold into the dulce de leche. Place in a jar with a tight lid and refrigerate.
- Use to make Alfajores de Maicena Cookies or pretty much with anything you like…Enjoy!
NOTE: The dulce de leche will keep up to 2 months in the refrigerator.