Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX
- 2 tbsps. Vegetable Oil
- 1 small Yellow Onion – rough chop
- 2-3 Garlic cloves – rough chop
- 1-2 Jalapenos (depending on size/heat) – rough chop
- Salt/Pepper – to taste
- 1 tbsp. toasted Cumin
- 1 (32 oz) can Black Beans – rinsed and dried
- 4-5 cups Chicken Stock
- 10-12 Cherry Tomatoes – sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 bunch Cilantro – for garnish
- 1/2 cup Mexican Crema – for garnish
- 1 Avocado – peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 Limes – juice and garnish
- Add the oil to a large pot on med-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until they take on some color. Add the garlic and jalapenos. Season with salt/pepper/cumin and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Immediately add the beans, stock and bring the pot to a boil. Turn heat to med-low so it is gently simmering. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Place the pureed soup back into the pot on med heat. Add some lime juice/zest. Taste and reseason if needed.
- To serve, ladle into a bowl and garnish with cherry tomatoes, cilantro, lime, avocado and Mexican crema. Enjoy!