Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX
- 2 tbsps. EVOO
- 1 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 2 small Red onions – peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled and minced
- Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper – To taste
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsps. Bijol Seasoning (Mixture of Annatto, Cumin and Corn flour)
- 1/2 cup – Chef Crusco’s 5 Minute Tomato Sauce
- 1-2 cups Vegetable Stock or Water
- 1 cup Green Beans – Blanching Technique (step 2)
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas – thaw at room temperature
- 1-2 cups Fresh Spinach
- 1 lemon – juice only
- 1/4 cup Feta Cheese – crumbled
- Add Butter and EVOO to a skillet (cast iron preferred) on medium heat. Once hot, add the onions. Season with salt/pepper. Cook on med-low for 15 minutes until caramelized.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the rice and toast the rice for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and Bijol. Move the mixture around so the rice gets covered with all the fats and seasoning.
- Turn the heat to med-high and immediately add the stock and Tomato sauce. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes until the rice starts to become soft to the bite.
- Still on low heat, add most of the spinach and move around with a wooden spoon so the spinach wilts.
- Add the peas, green beans and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat, squeeze the lemon juice all over and add the last of the spinach. Allow the skillet to sit for 5-10 minutes off the heat.
- To garnish, add the crumbled Feta Cheese and serve.
- Goes great as is or enjoy with Chef Crusco’s stuffed Pork Loin. Enjoy!