Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX
- 4 Bone in Chicken Thighs
- 4 Tbsps. – EVOO
- Coarse Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Pimenton – Spanish smoked Paprika
- 1 Link Spanish Chorizo Embutido (cured Spanish Pork) – sliced thin (found at Central Market)
- 1 Red onions – minced
- 1 Red Pepper – minced
- 4 Roma Tomatoes – chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 cup Bomba Rice – short grain Paella rice
- 2 pinches Saffron – bloomed in water or stock (meaning placed in liquid for 20 minutes)
- 3-4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock’
- 1/2 cup Fresh or Frozen green peas
- Place EVOO in a Paella pan (or large sauté pan) on med-high heat. Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper and pimenton. Place chicken (skin side down) in pan and cook until colored. Turn over and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan/set aside. Sear the Chorizo slices 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the onions, peppers and tomato to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook 3-4 minutes. At the end add the garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix around so the rice gets covered in all the fat and vegetables. Add the saffron and liquid it bloomed in and incorporate throughout the pan. Add the stock and move around so it settles throughout the pan.
- At this point, taste the liquid and adjust with salt/pepper if needed.
- Once it starts to simmer, reduce heat to med-low and gently cook for 12-18 minutes or until the rice starts to soften.
- Add the frozen peas, turn the heat off and cover the pan in foil to rest for 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, remove the foil and place the pan in the middle of the table so everyone can serve themselves communal/family style. Serve with some delicious crusty bread, Spanish wine and enjoy!