Recipe created and provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, Texas
- 1-1.5 lbs. Ground Beef
- 2 tbsps. Olive Oil
- 1 red onions – minced
- Coarse Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Paprika
- 1 tbsp. Chili Seasoning
- 1 Russet Potato – peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Can Whole tomatoes – crushed by hand
- 1 Can Kidney Beans – rinsed
- 1-2 tbsps. Tomato Paste
- 1.5-2 cups Beef or Chicken Stock
- Place Oil in large pan (Cast Iron preferred) on med-high heat. Season one side of beef with salt, pepper, paprika & chili.
- Once hot, place the seasoned side down. Season the other side of the ground beef and cook for 4-5 minutes. Gradually break up the beef into smaller chunks.
- Add the onions and cook another 3-4 minutes. Add the potato cubes and season again with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and kidney beans and cook another 2-3 minutes. Make a well in the center and add the tomato paste. Cook the paste for 1 minute and add the stock. Taste the liquid and reseason if needed with salt/pepper.
- Increase the heat and once slightly boiling, reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and slightly soft. Turn off the heat and let the stew sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- To serve, place several ladles of the stew into a large bowl. You can eat as is with Cornbread or garnish up with sour cream, green onions or jalapenos if you like it spicy.