Recipe created & provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX.
- 1 Whole Chicken – prepared Spatchcock style which is flattening it out for even cooking
- Coarse Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
- Chef Crusco Tzatziki Sauce
- To spatchcock a chicken, cut along each side of the backbone using kitchen shears.
- Remove the backbone, and reserve it to make your own stock with other vegetables.
- Now, turn the bird breast side up. Using both your hands and all your weight, press down hard and flatten the entire bird. You will hear a snap which is the birds breast bone breaking. Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Season the bird all over and generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill the bird (breast side down) covered with vent open, until nicely charred (depending upon the heat, around 15-20 minutes). Flip the chicken to the other side and cook 15-20 minutes more.
- Check the other side for color and flip again if needed. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees (maybe 5-10 minutes more). Once fully cooked, remove from grill and let the chicken rest for a good 10 minutes.
- To serve, remove the legs, wings and thighs for self serving. Slice the two breasts into smaller portions for all to try. Serve with Grilled Mushrooms and Tzatziki Sauce. Enjoy!