Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, Texas
- Crepes Recipe (20 Crepes)
- 2 tbsps. EVOO
- 1-2 cups Cauliflower – cut into florets
- 1-2 Carrots – cut into small pieces
- 1 small Yellow onion – finely chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper – finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves – minced
- 2 (14 oz.) cans Whole tomatoes (crushed with hands)
- 2 tbsps. Tomato Paste
- Kosher Salt & Pepper – to taste
- 1-2 tsps. Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp. sugar or Maple syrup
- 3/4-1 cup crushed and toasted Walnuts
- 2 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 2 cups Fresh, Whole Milk Ricotta
- 1 cup Fresh Basil – chiffonade cut
- 1 cup Pecorino Cheese
- Place the cauliflower and carrots into a food processor and pulse into it resembles a rice size pieces. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a large sauté plan on med-high heat, add EVOO. Once warm, add onions and peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and the cauliflower-carrot mixture and cook another 5-6 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes until the paste turns crimson. Immediately add the canned tomatoes and juice. Season with salt/pepper and add the dried oregano (rubbing between your fingers before placing into the pan).
- Cook uncovered for about 10-12 minutes allowing for all flavors to come together. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt/pepper/syrup as needed. Finally add the walnuts and stir in thoroughly. Set sauce pan aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a casserole dish with unsalted butter. Set aside.
- Place 1-2 large tbsps. of Ricotta onto one crepe and spread around. Roll up the crepe and place seam side down into the casserole dish. Continue until you use up all the crepes or run out of Ricotta.
- Top the Crepes and the casserole dish with the Cauliflower-Tomato sauce and sprinkle half the Pecorino cheese all over. Place into the oven for 15-20 minutes. Turn on Broil and cook for another 3-4 minutes until golden in color.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle more Pecorino cheese and fresh basil over the top of the crepes. Drizzle some Evoo and serve immediately. Enjoy!