Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, Texas
- 1 lb. PEI Mussels – cleaned, scrubbed and beards removed
- 2 Shallots – peeled and sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove – peeled and smashed (to remove after cooking)
- Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper – to taste
- 2 tbsps. Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsps. EVOO
- 1 Bottle Rose wine
- 2-3 tbsps. Fresh Basil – sliced
- 2-3 tbsps. Fresh Parsley – lightly chopped
- 2/3 cup – heavy cream
- To prepare the mussels, scrub them clean and remove any beards. Place into a bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Store the mussels in the refrigerator while you make the sauce.
- To make the sauce, heat a large pot (with a lid) over medium-high heat. Add the butter. Once melted, add the shallots. Sweat for about 2-3 minutes. Next, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Season with salt/pepper.
- Add the mussels and move around so the fats and vegetables mix thoroughly. Add the wine, turn up the heat to high and cover immediately with a lid.
- Turn the heat down to medium-high heat and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until the mussels open. Once done, sprinkle the chopped basil and parsley over top. Pour in the cream and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- To serve, pour the mussels and sauce into a large bowl. Garnish with lemons and serve with fresh bread to soak up all of the delicious sauce. Pour yourself a glass of Rose and enjoy!