Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, Texas
- 12.5 Ounces Flour
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 2 Ounces Milk
- 3.5 Ounces softened Unsalted Butter
- 7-8 Ounces Egg Whites – (from 7-8 eggs)
- 14 Ounces Powdered Sugar
- 3-4 cups Dulce de Leche Recipe
Directions (Tapas Dough)
- Place flour, egg yolks and milk in a stand mixer with the hook attachment. Knead and mix until there is no more apparent liquid. Add the softened butter and continue kneading until the dough comes together. Finish kneading on the countertop with your hands until the dough is smooth. Cover the dough with saran wrap and refrigerate (2 hours minimum).
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each piece into rounds of 8 inches in diameter. Make sure the cover the pieces (with a kitchen towel) you are not working with to avoid them from drying out.
- Pinch the rounds with a fork and place 2-3 on a parchment covered sheet pan. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Continue cooking them in sets until you cook all 12 rounds.
- Remove and let them cool down over a wire rack.
Directions (Swiss Meringue)
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and leave the egg whites covered at room temperature.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer warm the egg whites and powdered sugar over a water bath until the sugar has completely dissolved, whisking slowly the whole time (thermometer read at 140F).
- Continue whisking the egg whites at medium speed until they have completely cooled down and hold to medium peaks. Set aside.
- Place one disc round on a plate and add 2 generous tablespoons of Dulce de leche.
- Spread it evenly covering the whole surface and then cover with another disc. It doesn’t matter if it breaks as the dulce de leche will act like glue to keep it together (but be gentle when assembling).
- Repeat until there are no more discs left with the last layer being a round disc. Immediately refrigerate for 2-3 hours minimum or best overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator and use the Swiss meringue to cover the cake. Leave at room temperature until ready to serve. Enjoy the Torta Rogel with Chef Crusco’s Chocolate Cappuccino!