Recipe created and provided by Chef Crusco Catering
- Homemade Potato Gnocchi
- 2 Zucchini – cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 Shallot – roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Thyme – 2 sprigs
- 1/4 cup Cream
- 4 tbsps. EVOO
- 2 garlic cloves – smashed with peel left on
- 8 Asparagus – cleaned and peeled partially
- 5 Sun dried Tomatoes – sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- Salt/Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1/4 cup Pine nuts – lightly toasted
- Fresh Basil Leaves – left whole
- Pecorino Romano – grated
- First and foremost make the Potato Gnocchi and set aside to be cooked later. Make sure to keep cool and covered. If hot, place inside the refrigerator again covered.
- Place a small pot on med-high heat with 2 tbsps. EVOO. Once hot, place shallot in and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add zucchini & season with salt/pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes until the zucchini starts sweating. Immediately add wine and reduce in half.
- Add thyme & cream. Reduce heat to low & cook for 20 minutes until zucchini begins to disintegrate.
- Remove from heat, toss the thyme and blend until creamy. Taste and reseason if needed. Set aside.
- Prepare the Asparagus by cutting off the bottom 2 inches. Slice the entire asparagus into 3 pieces.
- Place a sauté pan with 2 tbsps. EVOO on med-high heat. Once it starts smoking, immediately add the garlic and cook 30-40 seconds.
- Immediately add the asparagus, sun dried tomatoes and cook until warmed through (2-3 minutes). Season with salt/pepper. Remove from heat, discard the garlic pieces and set aside.
- Place a large pot with water on high heat and bring to a boil. Season liberally with salt. Cook 20-30 gnocchi at a time so as not to crowd the pot. They will let you know when they are cooked because they will pop up to the surface.
- Place the sauté pan back on heat. Once the gnocchi pop up, spoon them into the sauté pan with the asparagus and tomatoes. Add 3-4 tbsps of the zucchini crema. Gently toss with the sauce but don’t overdo it as it should be a light dressing.
- Serve the dish by placing 8-10 gnocchi onto a plate. Place the Asparagus and Sun dried tomatoes around. Garnish the plate with Pine nuts and Basil. Sprinkle some Pecorino Romano cheese. Enjoy!