Recipe created & provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, TX.
- 4 Medium size Portobello Mushrooms – cleaned and gills removed
- 1 cup Mozzarella – grated
- 20 Cherry tomatoes – multi colored if possible
- ¼ cup fresh basil – small leaves only
- 3-4 tbsps. 18 year aged Balsamic Vinegar – buy from Con Olio in Austin, TX
- Sea Salt & Fresh Pepper
- Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese – for garnish
- 3-4 garlic cloves – sliced thin and fried intro chips – for garnish
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Prepare the Portobello’s by removing the stem and scraping off the gills with a spoon. Brush each side of the caps with EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
- Place Portobello caps directly on the grill racks and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side until tender.
- While the caps are cooking, prepare the other ingredients. Grate the cheese and pick the basil leaves. Sauté the cherry tomatoes for 1-2 minutes in 1 tbsp. EVOO and season with salt/pepper.
- Add 4-5 more tbsps. EVOO and fry the garlic chips. Also season with salt/pepper. Remove chips from the oil onto a paper towel and set aside.
- Next, stuff the mushrooms with the cheese and cherry tomatoes. Close the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to warm the filling/melt the cheese. Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- To serve, place Portobello’s onto a platter. Sprinkle the garlic chips all over and place basil leaves onto each mushroom too. Add flaky sea salt, ground black pepper and Pecorino cheese.
- To finish, drizzle a little of the Aged Balsamic vinegar all over the mushroom. Enjoy!