Classic French Mussels
Recipe provided by Chef Crusco Catering in Austin, Texas
- 3 shallots – finely minced
- 2 tbsps. EVOO
- 2 tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 lbs. PEI Mussels – well picked, scrubbed, purged & debearded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsps. Italian Parsley – finely chopped
- 2 tbsps. Fresh Basil – finely chopped
- Sea Salt & Freshly ground pepper – to taste
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Baguette slices for serving
- Parsley & Basil leaves – for garnish
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the oil and butter. Once almost shimmering add the shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes until sweating. Season with salt/pepper.
- Add the mussels, discarding any that do not close to the touch. Increase the heat to high and immediately add the white wine.
- Cover the pan tightly and steam the mussels until they open, about 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally so they cook evenly. Discard any mussels that did not open.
- Uncover the pot and throw in the fresh herbs. Using tongs, move the mussels so the herbs are thoroughly mixed in. Turn the heat to med-low and add the cream. Cook for another minute or so and remove from the heat. Set aside and prepare the bread slices.
- To serve, spoon the mussels into large soup bowls and ladle some of the broth over them. Garnish with fresh parsley & Basil leaves.
- Serve immediately with baguette slices for dipping in the broth. Enjoy!